Lunar: Silver Star Story is a delightful romp through the world of Lunar, which is the moon if you haven't gotten that yet. I know, that's super creative. The story follows Alex as he quests to become a Dragonmaster, following the footsteps of his idol and unrequited love, Dragonmaster Dyne. There's some broad with blue hair who keeps acting like his girlfriend, but pay no attention to that.
||Dyne Memorial Hunk of Marble
||Shrine of Foreshadowing
- Alex/Dyne: Alex has a little bit of a necrophilia problem. It's really too, too bad that Dyne isn't somehow still alive and able to reciprocate Alex's deep, burning desires.
- Mia/Nash: Look, don't get me wrong, Nash is super gay for Ghaleon--and who could blame him?--but it is more or less undeniable that he has a thing for sweet, sweet Mia. He embarrasses himself entirely too much on her behalf to not be in love with her.
- Jessica/Kyle: Yes, these two are really in a relationship. But it's a deeply dysfunctional relationship that should end, for both their sakes, as soon as humanly possible. Sooner.
- Born and Raised in Bumfuck Egypt: Alex, Gams, and Ram-It were all born in Burg, a boring village separated from the rest of the world by forests and water. Everyone treats it like the horrible backwater it is even though Dragonmaster Dyne was also born there.
- Cutscene Filler: Lunar has plenty of anime cutscenes, padding a ~30-hour sprite-based game into two full discs. Some of them are wonderful, and some of them are completely unnecessary and intrusive.
- Fuck Jesus!: The
cult religion dedicated to Althena is actually mostly innocuous, but given that a major religious figure ends up going evil and nearly destroying the world, I think this counts.
- Mary Sue: This game has three distinct flavors of Mary Sue in its three female leads: Gams, the angelic, pure maiden with the beautiful singing voice; Mia, the bookish shrinking violet; and Jessica, the loudmouth, slutty catgirl with a Heart of Gold.
- RICH: I like Jessica, but what feels like good-natured sass normally turns into Bitch Overdrive during recapping. Kyle is a terrible boyfriend but it seems like, 90 percent of the time, she's just looking for a reason to get mad at him.
- Shitty Voice Acting: Except for Ghaleon, none of the voice acting in this game is exactly good, but Fellatio in particular has a truly terrible, high-pitched, extremely flat voice. As a bonus, this game used one "celebrity" voice actor (Ashley Angel as Alex) and pulled everyone else from a community theater.
- The Silent Hero: Alex isn't completely silent, but he more or less lets Squeak talk for him the entire game.
- Forest dungeons are THE WORST (Weird Woods, Meribia Woods, stupid female Althena's Shrine woods)
- Working Designs needs to crawl out of their own assholes and stop making lame pop culture references